Thursday, July 15, 2010

Twilight...

I caved...I gave in...I read the Twilight series. I read it and didn't vomit as originally expected. Quite the opposite...I liked it. So here's what I thought:

My overall impression was very favorable. I really enjoy the way Stephenie Meyer writes because you can feel for the characters, feel as the characters, and really associate with the emotions they go through. She writes so that you can put yourself in the story as an objective third party or even as one of the characters. There are a lot of people who write with the intention of making the story seem wholly "other" and flowery and still unknowable.

While I cannot truly say I understand what it is like to be a vampire, I can understand frustration, self-depreciation, love, learning, struggle, inadequacy, and even loss. These emotions and experiences are all throughout the novels and speak to anyone who reads the stories. If you look merely at the surface (there is a human girl who falls in love with a vampire...purely fictitious and ridiculous) and read it purely for laughs, that's what you'll find; you won't like the story. However, if you read it with the intention of seeing the reality of a girl falling for a guy she thinks is way out of her league and empathizing with what each of the characters can and do feel in their situations, you'll definitely find relate-able characters, excitement, and even reminders about your own life and reactions to what you've experienced.

Any further than that...and...I'm...struggling for words.

Oh, and the last book was a complete let-down. "It's starting." And then what? What the freak, Stephenie, it never really starts and then it comes to a disappointing climax...because there was no climax. Uh...yeah...whatev.

I read "The Host" and liked it too. Similar reasons. The End.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I will ever be bored enough to pick up that series, but I have thought about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to decide if it was Megan or Jordan that posted this... haha, jk.
    I read through Twilight series really quick (agree about the anticlimactic ending- and why are we splitting this into TWO painfully drawn out movies?), but listened the The Host on CD and it was painful. Have you read the Hunger Games yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, and I bought the 3 book set when we were in the Philippines so I could finish the series before getting back to the US. I liked the first book a lot! Second book was okay, third was...disappointing. It's like she ran out of steam and the characters all fell apart and she had to wrap up some kind of ending to meet her deadline.

      Delete