Monday, May 30, 2011

Winds of Change

A lot has happened since I last posted anything. Jordan updates this blog much better than I do and it's supposed to be mine...haha...well, now it's a family blog. And this half of the family should pick up some slack every now-and-again, I suppose.

Say hello to the newest college graduate from the Foster household! Yes, that's me. I know I'm a Mendez now but you can't take the Foster out of me no matter how hard you try. I've tried to make both sides of the family proud by my scholastic performance and don't intend to disappoint from here on out. Just some minor changes...

Because of Jordan "encouraging" me to get my homework done, we raised my overall GPA from a 3.2ish to a 3.72 with almost solid A's (until the end when I took stats for geographers and population geography). Yay me! I've never been dumb but I wasn't really motivated to maintain 4.0s before. Thanks babe!

Now that school is over, it's as if I have to reinvent myself. Who am I now, now that I'm no longer a college student? There are roles that we all fill in life and with each role comes a certain identity. As a college student most people know a few things about you without even having a face and a name to go with it: how much money you have (none), what types of foods you eat (unhealthy and fast), what type of social life you live (very active either with people or books), and your sleeping habits (who needs sleep?). But when you are no longer a student, what kind of life do you live? What do you do for income? How do you spend your time? Now that you have a little more time on your hands, do you prepare elaborate meals or have you not yet graduated from a diet of mac & cheese and ramen? Who are your friends? Where do you live? All of these things used to be understood and were even provided to you in your "this is who you are" name-badge but now that those former descriptions no longer apply, you must create your own. Now is a time for a combination of reinvention-of-self coupled with applying the tried and true principles and characteristics you have forged during those times of self-doubt, success, and self-discovery.

So then I beg the question, who am I? What do I choose to be now that I don't wear the "college student" hat anymore? Well, my friends, I suppose I'll tell you when I figure it out for myself. While I never went through a crisis nor did I have a good cry about not knowing what to do with myself now that I'm considered a "real grown-up," I did (and still do) have thoughts of who I am in the eyes of others. College was really the last time for a long time when I would be recognized for my own accomplishments. From here forward I will be a wife, mother (well, real baby-makin' isn't until next year...so that one will be a little way off), and whatever title I get at church from my assigned calling, and the girl who lives in apartment #such-and-such. My accomplishments will reflect on my husband, family, and household more than it will be about me and what I offer and how special I am. And...you know what? I'm so okay with that...I totally don't care (for right now) if no one sees me and thinks about the great things I'm doing. Maybe I'll be more concerned with that later, but, for right now, I'm perfectly content to do things at my own pace and in my own way. As long as Jordan notices, I'll be just fine.

I'm just me. I've waxed philosophical and have come out the same optimistic realist that I have always been. Take it or leave it, I'm pretty comfortable just being me.

~Megan

3 comments:

  1. I love you so much. What you meant to say was, "The pretty girl who lives in apartment#..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, identity can be hard to come by when school is over. It's like, "I have a shiny piece of paper... now what?" I'm glad I moved on after I graduated massage school... I know I was at a precipice thinking, "Okay, now prove that you actually know something." After a few years working for others, it's sometimes hard to believe that I'm a business owner (however small). And the key, whenever you wake up, is always to think: Forget who I was yesterday... who do I want to be today? With facing that great responsibility, comes great power. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the best things about becoming pregnant was getting a new label/specific role to fill. I didn't think about it until reading this, but I guess I really need that kind of push to feel meaning in my life. We all know what types of things to do to be the best missionary, student, mom, etc., but so much harder to be the best 'me' in general.

    ReplyDelete