Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lessons learned in Davenport and Provo

Over the summer, I spent 3 long, boring months doing a type of accounting that I hate. While there, my co-workers often made fun of my one, true accounting love--tax! Also while I was serving time, I had a couple of supervisors who did not enjoy explaining anything beyond a "30,000 foot overview."

I hate that term by the way.

So, what happened to me? I didn't understand a lot of what I did and I was very unhappy at work. I am used to doing well in school and life in general. I ask questions when I don't understand because I desire to understand! Knowledge is power as Schoolhouse Rock teaches!

Tonight, I was working in the accounting lab and had a student ask me a question. I could tell he wasn't 100% interested in what he was doing, but at least he came here for help, so I decided to explain the concept simply and calmly. The light bulb turned on and he finally understood. He was happy and I was happier to be of service. Another lesson from Davenport has been internalized: helping another person, no matter his/her attitude, will have positive effects sometime in the future. While I would never, ever live or work at that place again, I am more and more thankful for its lessons.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment